Buffalo News

• February 8Website going through construction. Please be understanding of mistakes :)

• August 31Remember to smile today! :)

Government Shutdown 2018

/

/

Emily Keown, Editor In Chief

The “Government Shutdown 2018” is the 18th U.S. government shutdown to happen in American History. The three day closure occurred because congress could not come to an agreement on a must-pass spending bill.

“The government shuts down when the senate and the house cannot jointly pass an appropriations bill to spend money as per the constitution,” stated Mrs. Kerrie D’esposito.

In order to prevent a shutdown, funding, or stop gaps, will be passed. This creates a period of time that allows the government to continue while a compromise is made over the budget.  

“This time we were in the third stop gap and the democrats were looking for an addition to the bill- the appropriations bill to cover DACA and the DREAM Act where the republicans wanted that as a separate bill,” Mrs. D’esposito explained,

During the shutdown, all non-essential government workers are furloughed, which means they must take a pay-free vacation until the government returns. A government shutdown also affect the lives of U.S. citizens.

“For some people, the passport agencies close so they can’t renew or get a new passport, and passports that were in the process of being renewed or issued are stalled. Those that have submitted tax return, wouldn’t be getting their refund in the near future. The CDC ceased operations of their seasonal flu program,” states Mrs. D’esposito. “The FDA stopped inspections of slaughter houses and the national park services kept the parks open but there was no officers, people weren’t cleaning up restrooms or picking up trash, and things like that.”

A new stop gap has been passed until the 8th of February. From there, three outcomes are possible; a budget is agreed upon, another stop gap is put into place, or the government goes through another shutdown.