Buffalo News

• February 8Website going through construction. Please be understanding of mistakes :)

• August 31Remember to smile today! :)

New Hurricane New Student

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Hurricane New Student

Picture of Hurricane Maria destruction is Puerto Rico taken from apnews.com

Ap News

Ap News

Ap News

Xavier Moore, Writer

Hurricanes can affect people in many different ways. They are some of the most destructive storms. Hurricanes like Maria, Irma, and Harvey were some of the biggest storms to hit the United States and surrounding countries in more than a decade. Many families were relocated due to these horrific events.

One of those families was the family of sophomore Rebeca Negrón, who used to live in Puerto Rico but now attends VHS.

“It has impacted me a lot because I did not know that this was going to happen. Emotionally it sucks and every time I think of Puerto Rico it makes me want to cry,” stated Rebeca.

Hurricane Maria will end up costing Puerto Rico a lot of money. CNN money reports, “A more conservative estimate earlier this week from the disaster research group Enki Research put the total at $30 billion.”

The damage from Maria can still be felt in Puerto Rico, “[the hurricane] destroyed our island basically, “expressed Rebeca.

“My house doesn’t have any power,” said Rebeca.

For Rebeca and others like her, it’s not easy to just pick up and move, especially during the holiday season.

“I’m used to celebrating holidays over there,” added Rebeca. “I’m not use to celebrating over here.”

But relocating won’t stop her from bringing her holiday traditions to the United States.

“We do a lot of parrandas and that’s like a music but rhythm wise it’s very Puerto Rican, it’s music but very Christmas tradition,” stated Rebeca.

The holidays aren’t the only hard part about relocating. Moving in the middle of the school year to another country was especially hard.

“I did not take one month of classes so now I’m like trying to catch up. And it’s been very hard for me because I was in an advance school of science and math, and I don’t have my first quarter grades,” said Rebeca.

Rebeca said that her outlook and perspective of life has changed since the hurricane.

“I do value life a whole lot. Now I realize I have to be grateful for life and what I have to enjoy it to the fullest and not care about the things that I have material wise. Worry about the people that you love. All that you need in life is your family and friends,” said Rebeca.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is an organization that helps The United States and its surrounding territories during natural disasters such as hurricanes or tornadoes, and helps them get back on their feet by loaning money to those families that have been affected.

“People say that FEMA is helping us but honestly they’re not. It’s a process and I know that FEMA is going to help us but it’s been like two months and they have not come,” stated Rebeca. “People say that Puerto Rico is getting better but it’s not. People are just getting use to how bad it is.”

Rebeca also recommends that the best way to help Puerto Rico’s recovery is to “give donations to Puerto Rico,” expressed Rebeca. “That’s the best thing you can do but give more to local organizations because they are the ones that are helping each other.”

“Give them a warm welcome because they have not been through a good situation,” Rebeca stated.

After losing everything, Rebeca is very emotional when it comes to Puerto Rico. She misses it and plans to go back as soon as she can.

“I miss Puerto Rico and I love them I’m coming back so please don’t think that I am leaving Puerto Rico and not see them again,” stated Rebeca with teary eyes. “I love them and I just hope the best for them.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “New Hurricane New Student”

1. Claude on December 22nd, 2017 12:11 pm

Nice article.

2. Rebeca Negron on December 22nd, 2017 5:59 pm

Thank you so much for writing this, Xavier. I really appreciate it. Te amo mucho, Puerto Rico.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• New Hurricane New Student

Big Events

Student Safety is a Top Priority for TVCS Administrators

• New Hurricane New Student

Big Events

Buffalo Beat Cafe 2/10/18

• New Hurricane New Student

Pictures

Track Meet 2/10/18

• New Hurricane New Student

Editorials

No Complaining

• New Hurricane New Student

Spotlights

73 Question Interview-Olivia Ross

• Editorials

Disconnected

• New Hurricane New Student

Spotlights

45 Questions- Lily Morse

• New Hurricane New Student

Editorials

I Wore the Ugliest Outfit for a Day

• New Hurricane New Student

Editorials

58 lives lost; 1 perspective changed

• Stories

Veterans in the school

The Student News Site of The Villages High School
New Hurricane New Student