Buffalo News

• February 8Website going through construction. Please be understanding of mistakes :)

• August 31Remember to smile today! :)

58 lives lost; 1 perspective changed

Marissa Mahood, Sports and Reports Editor

Most people wouldn’t think twice about throwing away 58 cents, but what if those pennies were lives? How significant would it be then? That’s how many people died on October 1st, because of the mass shooting in Las Vegas.

As a Las Vegas native, hearing about the shooting on the news it immediately hit home. Even I didn’t realize how significant the number 58 was until I made my way back home and visited the Las Vegas Community Healing Garden.

The Las Vegas Community Healing Garden was made by the Vegas community in order to take the focus away from the man who committed the murders and put the focus on the victims.

The garden was put together on a street corner in downtown Las Vegas by volunteers. It consists of a remembrance wall, where people can put pictures or the victims and notes to the community on, and 58 trees which represents each person who died in this horrific event.

Each of the trees has a picture of the person who died and rock around the base. The atmosphere at the garden is indescribable.

As I stood in the middle of the garden I looked around and couldn’t stop imagining all the trees as the people who those trees represented. I felt mad that someone took their lives and that they now have to be represented as trees and  are no longer living people.

As you stand there, you see the trees, the notes, the wall, and the people there with you and you can’t help but feel lucky to be alive. Everybody at the garden is silent, as if talking is rude because these people can’t talk anymore.

I looked at their pictures and wondered what it would be like to be in their place, at the concert that night, just trying to enjoy the music and then experiencing the shots firing down on you.

As I got on the bus to go back home, I just looked around and realized that at any time something bad could happen, and we have no control over it. It made me even more thankful to be able to be with my family on Thanksgiving because some families don’t have that luxury anymore. 58 isn’t just a number to them; 58 shouldn’t be just a number to anyone anymore.

Marissa Mahood
Marissa Mahood
Marissa Mahood
Marissa Mahood
Marissa Mahood