Community Comes Together

Back to Article
Back to Article

Community Comes Together

Marissa Mahood, Sports and Reports Editor

In times of distress, people tend to come together in order to lend a helping hand. After a recent tragedy involving a Villages Charter School middle school student, it’s clear that our community is no different. Folks from all around the tri-county are rallying around the Mogollon family to try to ease their stress.

Recently, VCS 7th  grader Anderson Mogollon, broke his neck in a diving accident. Due to the severity of his injuries, he was airlifted to Shands hospital in Gainesville.

While in the helicopter, Anderson had no pulse and was not responding and it was predicted that he wouldn’t make it.

After the flight, they arrived at the hospital and it was announced that Anderson once again had a pulse.

“When we came to the hospital it was, my mind changed he was alive. That was a miracle what happened in the hospital,” stated Anderson’s older brother Alberson Mogollo, a junior here at VHS.

When the surrounding community found out about Anderson’s accident they immediately jumped into action to help out the Mogollon family.

Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), a club here at VHS, has donated a walmart gift card to Alberson and his family,to help out with any necessities that they might need.

“FCA has funds set aside to help people throughout the year, so I brought the situation to them and asked, you know, ‘would we want to, would it be a good idea to help out Alberson?’ And of course everyone wanted to do that,” said Mrs. Webb, FCA club sponsor.

Other organizations have also jumped at the opportunity to  to help Alberson out as well. Jos. A Bank, in Sumter Landing, rented him a tuxedo for homecoming, free of charge, to help relieve some of the stress off of the family.

“It’s just amazing to have other people help that I don’t know,” expressed Alberson.

Chick-Fil-A sponsored an event on Thursday from 5 – 8 p.m. where they donated a portion of their sales to the Mogollon family.

“A lot of teachers and a lot of parents are trying to rally together to help out the family in anyway that we can,” stated Mrs. Webb.

If you’d like to help out the Mogollon family,there will be a table at the Closet Clutter, this Saturday, so people can come and make donations to the family.

“In like, my whole entire family” said Alberson, “this is the biggest problem in my life. So this is going to be in my life, in my heart, and in my mind, my whole life.”