Student Safety is a Top Priority for TVCS Administrators

Poster+sent+over+to+Stoneman+Douglas+from+VHS+AP+students.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Poster sent over to Stoneman Douglas from VHS AP students.

Emily Keown

Emily Keown

Emily Keown

Emily Keown, Editor in Chief

Less than two weeks after the Stoneman Douglas High School tragedy, Florida Governor Rick Scott came out with an action plan on February 23 regarding student’s safety. Some of the announced actions includes: introducing the Violent Threat Restraining Order, raising the age to purchase a gun to 21, and a $450 million plan to have one Resource Officer per 1,000 students in high schools across the state.

While the proposed changes, if passed, won’t happen until next school year, VCS administrators already have a campus wide safety plan. Dr. Randy McDaniel, Director of Education, said all procedures changed about two years ago in order to keep the students safe. One being the change from “Code Red” to “Lockdown. Locks, lights, out of sight” in order to make things more clear to students on what should be done.

Another new security step provided by VCS administration is an emergency call to each students home. Dr. McDaniel helped create the automated phone call and text message system after parents expressed that the website and email are not the most convenient means of communication. The first time it was used was during Hurricane Irma to alert parents that our school was a shelter. The second and most recent time was to alert parents that there would be more officers on duty for a disclosed amount of time to prevent any copycats to the Stoneman Douglas catastrophe.

Administration says it’s important for both students and teachers to be aware of the safety procedures. There is a poster in every classroom on campus that states what to do in an emergency. Not only does it include procedures in case of a weapon on campus, there are also procedures for natural disasters or hazmatic problems.

Administrators add that students need to be aware of what is said and done around the school. Dr. McDaniel said he is a strong believer in, ”hear something, say something.” Although Dr. McDaniel said to not be a “spy”, he wants all students to be alert. If anything is said regarding a proposed idea that can cause danger, students should tell an official immediately in order to help the safety of everyone in the school.

Governor Rick Scott said that he feels there is nothing more important than student’s safety. He plans to work aggressively with legislatures over the next two weeks in hopes that his plan will soon be put into action.